Sunday, June 6, 2010

I LOVE Garage sales!




I love garage sales! Of course I like shopping in all it's forms, but garage sales have a particular attraction. Recently my mom and sister and I actually left a family vacation early to make it back for an annual neighborhood sale. And week after week I get up super early on my only day to sleep to drive around in search of the sight that gets my heart palpitating... the yard sale sign! I think it is the thrill of the hunt for me... the unknown. Am I following arrows that will lead me to a mecca of Restoration Hardware/Ballard designs/Potterybarn furniture and housewares being sold for pennies on the dollar? Or will it be another lady selling scary porcelin collectables, native american plates and the left overs from her Mary Kay days. (I swear I've been to that sale over and over again), and some garage sale tips and ediquitte.




-bring change, no one wants to break large bills


-ask don't tell. I ALWAYS barter, but I try to do so politely. Say "would you take $2.00?" Not "I'll give ya 2 bucks" and I never ask for more than 1/2 off on small stuff and 30% off big stuff. Also if you think your going to buy a lot, (like me and clothes for Adri) you can say, will you make me a deal if I buy a lot? I have found 98% of people having a garage sale expect and are fine with bartering. The other 2%... well, I'll do a posting about how to appropriatly conduct a garage sale at a later time : )


-Keep things as you found them, some people have piles of stuff you dig through, others are very orderly, don't mess up peoples order.


***Big one*** I've been burned on this one, if you see something you may want don't stand admiring and appraising and deciding were it would go, someone else will snatch up that area rug right under your nose! Immediatly engage the seller in conversation about the piece and get it in hand as soon as possible.


- If you come to a good garage sale and the wife has made the bad decision of putting her husband in charge, buy everything quickley before she returns!






My favorite finds lately (things blend in to my house so quickly I forget, but here are a few!
See Kai run shoes 50cents! (I don't have a boy to put them in, but couldn't pass them up!)
An awesome coffee table (not the one pictured, but same look) for $22 (husband in charge)
The kitchen table of my dreams $60
Two great looking dress shirts for James from Banana Republic $1 each
I can always find DVD's for 1 or 2 dollars, hardly touched childrens books for 25cents to $1, clothing and shoes for cheap, vintagey knick knacks, expensive linins, frames, mirrors, for seriously cheap.
Aaaahhhhh I just love garage sales!
Our house is getting a makeover, finally we are implamenting some ideas we've had kicking around for a long time, I should have taken before picks, but I'll definitely post some afters!
















2 comments:

  1. Aaaah, Jen! I love this post! It makes me miss you so dang much! I keep trying to explain to new friends that "thrifting" was a competative weekend sport between me and my HS girlfriends, but nobody gets it! I miss shopping with you! I'm asuming you came home early for the Boulevard Lanes sale? That was always too much fun - and we didn't even have houses to fill with treasures yet back then! Aaah, the good ol days!

    (ps. I can't believe you kept this blog a secret form me all this time!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It so is a competative sport. But you should be glad your Arkansas friends don't get it, less competition, more good stuff for you! Oh, Boulavard lanes is nothin these days, The Issaquah highlands- those people have good stuff and practically give it away. I like Lakeland hills too, cause there are soooo many participants. Why don't you get back on the west coast already!! (not that I want the competition : )

    ReplyDelete